This home is smarter from the Outside In!
Most European countries have been building with exterior wall insulation for years. Normal Florida construction has the exterior wall insulation on the inside of the block wall. That is not a very efficient way to do it. This house has the insulation on the outside of the structure, where it belongs. Our system provides superior moisture intrusion prevention along with substantial energy efficiency. This smarter building envelope enhances interior climate control and comfort.
Why is building that way so much better?
Traditional Florida homes are built out of cement blocks with a thin stucco coating on the outside and then painted. Here are some facts about this inefficient type of traditional construction:
1. Windows and Exterior doors are not properly sealed under traditional construction. Stucco finishes are not waterproof.
2. The traditional way of insulating Florida block homes, is to put foil encased foam board against the inside of the block walls, around the living area. Think about this: Block is a high “thermal mass” product. That means, when it gets warm, it retains the warmth and slowly discharges it over time. All day long the walls of a traditional block home heat up as the Florida Sun bakes them.
3. There is what professionals call “Infiltration Practice”. It's the sealing of holes and gaps in the exterior envelope of a house. Traditional insulation practice, does at best, stop only a portion of air leaks.
THE SUNSEEKER ZERO-HOUSE MODEL HAS THE ENTIRE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING ENCASED WITH THE FOLLOWING SYSTEM:
1. The first layer, to be a waterproofing and sealing system, is applied to the entire exterior around a conditioned space, efficiently eliminating air leaks.
2. Next is an installation of a continuous 2” thick closed foam board around the envelope.
3. This is followed by a sealing of all foam around windows and doors.
4. Then a mesh reinforced base coat is applied.
5. Finally, highly crack resistant, cement free acrylic with immense flexibility and strength is applied, providing a high SRI (solar reflective index value).