Think about this:
Traditional Florida homes are built out of cement blocks with a thin stucco coating on the outside and then painted. Here are some facts about this inefficient type of traditional construction:
1. Windows and Exterior doors are not properly sealed under traditional construction. Stucco finishes are not waterproof. It is the painting that makes them waterproof. Wrong products or improper installation or insufficient amount of product applied to the exterior can and will result in issues in years to come for traditional homes.
2. The traditional way of insulating Florida block homes is to put foil encased foam board against the inside of the block walls around the living area. Think about this: Block is high “thermal mass” product. That means that when it gets warm it retains the warmth and slowly discharges it over time. All day long the walls of a traditional block home heat up as the Florida Sun bakes them. Where does that heat go? Over time some of the heat discharges to the atmosphere. A lot of it, by conduction, transmits that heat directly into the foil wrapped insulation board on the inside of the exterior walls. Fact is that any insulation product, as it’s temperature rises, decrease in R Value (R Value is the products resistance to transmit heat or cool). So, traditional construction almost eliminates the value of interior mounted insulation causing A/C systems to have to run longer and harder. That is the wrong use of building products in Florida.
3. There is what we professionals call “Infiltration Practice”. That is the sealing of holes and gaps in the exterior envelope of a house. Traditional insulation practice, does at best, stopping only a portion of air leaks. This means bugs, mildew and moisture can seep into the envelope over period of time. This could bring a host of potential problems that could occur long after the warranty period for you home expires, when it is too late to get builders to do anything about it. So, what’s the best way to build the exterior walls?
Our new Model will have the entire Exterior of the Building Envelope encased with this system:
1. First layer to be a waterproofing and sealing system applied to entire exterior around conditioned space. This layer will have a special sealing of windows of doors that will stop air leaks.
2. Next will be installation of a continuous 2” thick closed foam board around the envelope. It will be installed in a way that will create a narrow air space and drainage chamber between the block and the exterior insulation. To be noted is that the insulation will be installed without mechanical fasteners, hurricane bonded to the masonry, with no bridging. Bridging is another way that traditional construction fastening methods transmit energy that we do not want transmitted.
3. Next will be sealing of all the foam around windows and doors.
4. Next will be application of mesh reinforced base coat.
5. Last will be application of a cement free acrylic, highly crack resistant with immense flexibility and strength. And giving a high SRI (solar reflective index value). No need to paint as the color is in the finish.
• System is designed so that not only the outside heat will not find its way into this home, but the bugs that live outside will not be able to find a way in either. Peace of mind that the little Florida outside critters won’t have the access afforded to them as in traditional construction.
• The high-pitched roofs which waste energy and have maintenance issues down the road have been changed to a hidden low pitch roof. This New Roof has a waterproofing system and life expectancy that is better than shingle roofing. It also exceeds energy star requirements, and unlike any shingle roof, the SRI (solar reflective index) is 90 out of 100 perfect LEED score. This means the roof will absorb very little of the heat energy from the sun. The roofing is manufactured with CURE technology (that has Ultraviolet stabilizers that result in greater an extreme durability and longevity, impact scuff and stain resistant, mold and fungus resistant).
• This roof design will also allow us to place the solar roof mounted equipment on any house we build with any lot orientation. Also, placing the solar equipment out of view.
• Standard are Vinyl Impact windows and glass doors with insulated low e glass that are Energy Star Approved
• This home is built to exceed the Hurricane Code Requirements. If you ever have to be in Florida during a hurricane, this is the house you will want to be in. The exterior walls will be CBS construction heavily reinforced with steel and poured SOLID with concrete. This home will outperform all conventional built homes.
• R-30 Foam Sealed Insulated Roof over the Living area and Garage
• Using Building Products that Far Exceed the Energy Code
• Interior Climate Control:
1. Use of Thermal Mass (from the concrete and masonry in the home) on the inside of the house where it belongs. This thermal mass inside will modulate the temperature in the home. It will assist in keeping the air temperature cool and even throughout the day and night. Some of the interior walls will even be high thermal mass. This means THIS home will keep the interior temperature cooler longer just by the passive design techniques of this home.
2. Engineered Cooling with equivalent of 30+ SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating) efficiency. Now that is more than double what the majority of traditional home builders offer. But it gets better than that. With the included Solar PV power plant, the small electricity this A/C system is using will have the free sun producing its input power. You may have read of how some electric cars today are claiming mpg equivalents of 100mpg and more. They come up with calculation by figuring in the cost of electricity to charge the car’s batteries which equates to a much higher mpg. In a similar way, with your own solar power plant, present Energy calculation methods cannot calculate the actual off the chart SEER rating of the system in this house!
3. Both compressor and air handler are variable speed which will maintain consistent temperature and humidity continuously at a sound level almost too low to hear.
4. Because of the “Sealed” type construction of this home, we are installing an outside fresh air intake that will maintain a continuously healthy indoor atmosphere.
• Solar and Smart Home Features:
1. Designed to be a NET ZERO home powered by a Solar Photovoltaic energy system. That means the house is designed to produce all the power it uses with connection to the Utility Grid as a backup for peak periods if needed. Optional battery power pack is available for those having lots with no Utility Company power available. This house will then become independent of all Utility Grid grid power. Great for inexpensive lots with no power available or remote Island locations.
2. Photovoltaic System produces maintenance Free Green Power to your home.
3. Solar Domestic Hot Water heating system with solar powered circulating pump providing the hot water needs of the home.
4. Smart Home integration, Programmable, communicating thermostat to control you A/C from your smart phone. Various electrical components of the Home can be managed thru the Smart Home Features.